Wednesday 6 July 2011

My Demo Painting

I recently  found a 100 x 100cms painting of St Anthony's Head, Cornwall that had been damaged in transport. So I decided to use it for teaching purposes at my workshops... I call it my 'Demo Canvas'. No idea if and when it will be completed as I keep changing it.  
First thing I did was turn it upside down. I wanted to use the same horizon line but used the large smooth sky as the sea.... 

I started by playing with an ink roller, applying Golden Acrylic over the whole canvas. I love the way that the colours merge when applied with roller... This gave the whole canvas a slight texture... 
I used a knife to create the sky and  then various other techniques, pouring, throwing, flicking etc to do the sea... adding sand from Gyllyngvase Beach and scrimms to create other interesting textures. 

In the next demo, I  added  more sand, to create a beach and rocky effect up the right hand side of the painting. Then I showed how acrylic inks and paint can be used to create light and suggest waves on rocks...   The painting is NOT finished  and will probably change again. Particularly the water where there is still much to do.  I'm quite happy with the sky... For the moment. :-) 



In these times of recession I am having to cut back on the number of paintings I am having framed. Even though I have a good relationship with my framer, I need to cut costs.  I decided it was time to work on a few box canvases that do not require framing.  I bought  2 cartons of 20 x 20 cms canvases  and am  really enjoying experimenting producing work that can be sold at a very  affordable price.  These will be for sale at  'Art in the Gardens' at Sheffields Botanical Gardens on 2nd 3rd and 4th September. (unless anyone sees some they like before then) I will put them on my Blog, Facebook and my website. www.connollyart.com as I complete them.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment